JobFocus gives the opportunity for a small group of Members to discuss their experiences in gaining employment after having gained their postgraduate qualifications.
Together the group also weighs up the advantages and disadvantages of different job-seeking approaches, as well as possible solutions to the many challenges involved.
The following are examples of the questions discussed at just one JobFocus session:
- in order to enter the job market, particularly to work in large firms, should you apply for entry-level more junior positions or at the level appropriate for an applicant with postgraduate qualifications?
- what should you do when a positive networking experience (‘Yes, get in touch — I would love to help’) is followed by no responses to further communications?
- how do you achieve the balance between ‘doormat’ or ‘soft fruit’ and being too confident?
- what should you include in a cover letter?
- what are the best approaches for video interviews and how are these analysed?