We are proud to hold reciprocal arrangements with numerous prestigious colleges and associations globally. Our Members are guaranteed a warm welcome, and we, in turn, extend a warm welcome to their members when they choose to reside at Graduate House.
Click on the links below to learn more about some of our reciprocal associations:
Become a member of the Graduate Union today to take full use of reciprocal arrangements!
University Club of San Francisco
800 Powell St
San Francisco, CA 94108
Phone: +1 415 781 0900
We are grateful for the permission of the University Club of San Francisco to use this image.
San Francisco. The name conjures up such images as the Golden Gate Bridge, cable cars, Fisherman’s Wharf and Tony Bennett singing I left my heart in San Francisco. It is also within easy distance of the famous Napa Valley and Sonoma County wine country, Silicon Valley and Stanford University. The Melbourne equivalent for Australia, San Francisco is one of the most popular cities to visit in America.
The University Club of San Francisco was founded in 1890 at a meeting of the Harvard Club of San Francisco to foster fellowship in the furthering of intellectual, social and athletic pursuits. After the first clubhouse in downtown San Francisco was destroyed during the 1906 earthquake, the present Italianate Renaissance four-storey clubhouse was built in 1909 at the top of Nob Hill and has spectacular views of the city skyline and San Francisco Bay beyond, and cable cars outside the front door to board and travel the hills and dales.
Visiting Graduate Union Members enjoy the same benefits as the members of the University Club of San Francisco – access to accommodation and Wi-Fi, restaurants, bars, reading room library, function rooms and athletic facilities, as well as participation in such events as lectures on art, literature and public affairs.
The sixteen accommodation rooms, renovated in 2010, are located on the first and second floors and include five suites with adjacent sitting room. Continental breakfast is complimentary for guests staying overnight.
The third floor of the clubhouse features a main dining room with scenic views of San Francisco. The fourth floor has a bar and dining room with an adjacent billiard and games room, a large reading room with views of Telegraph Hill, the Transamerica Tower and San Francisco Bay, and a library. An adjacent athletic facility completed in 2005 has an 1100 square foot (about 102m2) fitness centre, five squash courts and executive locker rooms with saunas and steam rooms. The club can accommodate up to 400 guests for private functions and events.
St James’s Hotel and Club
7-8 Park Place
London SW1A 1LPT
Phone: +44 020 7629 7688
Permission to use this image has been provided by the Club Secretary and Website Manager of the St. James’s Club.
Follow in the footsteps of film stars, celebrities, authors and diplomats and stay at the St. James’s Hotel and Club. We recommend staying at this club so that you can discover for yourself why they love the location and the experience, and so that you can reassure yourself that the spelling is correct!
First the location at 7-8 Park Place. This five-star hotel is in a quiet cul-de-sac just around the corner from Mayfair, Buckingham Palace, St. James’s Palace, the exclusive shops of Jermyn Street, the Burlington Arcade, Bond Street, The Royal Academy of Arts and the theatres and night life of the West End.
The Club was founded in 1857 as an exclusive gentleman’s club in Piccadilly. Times and economic conditions changed and in the early seventies, financial difficulties led to the closure of St. James’s as a club, instead operating solely as a hotel. In 1980, the Club was reopened with a different focus and rose quickly in popularity, becoming well known for good food, wine and as one of the best party venues – particularly by entertainers and celebrities in the film world.
Over the years, extensive improvements have taken place, but the atmosphere, culture and tradition which made St James’s Club unique remains unchanged.
St James’s Hotel and Club has luxurious and beautifully furnished bedrooms, some with private balconies. For those who can, there are also Penthouse deluxe suites with access to quaint sun terraces.
The restaurant, Seven Park Place has been awarded a Michelin star several times. They offer an exquisite cuisine of modern French style food. The best British seasonal produce is used.
The Bellevue Club
525 Bellevue Avenue
Oakland, California 94610
Phone: +1 510 451 1000
Permission to use this image has been provided by the Coordinator – Reciprocal Clubs and Website of The Bellevue Club.
Located at 525 Bellevue Avenue, Oakland, The Bellevue Club is about eight miles from Oakland International Airport and a forty minute drive from San Francisco International Airport, making it accessible for international travelers such as those traveling from Melbourne, Australia!
Initially, the Club was founded as The Women’s Athletic Club by three women with great foresight. Articles of Incorporation were signed in 1926 and the Clubhouse was completed in 1929. The Bellevue Club’s rich history and architectural aesthetics makes it an ideal place to visit and its many members hold private events at this venue, including weddings, banquets, birthdays, anniversaries and Bar and Bat Mitzvah celebrations.
The Bellevue Club provides comfortable and recently refurbished guest rooms, each with a private bathroom, phone and cable TV. Most rooms also have balconies overlooking the beautiful Lake Merritt. King, queen, double or twin bed configurations are available. A large parking lot is available at no extra charge to members and guests of the Club. Additionally, a small office with free wireless internet access may be used by overnight guests – the Club provides copying and fax services at a nominal charge.
The Club has a large and well-equipped fitness centre which has Nautilus machines, treadmills, exercise bicycles and free weights. The near Olympic sized indoor pool is heated and has five lanes for lap swimming from 6.00am to 10.00pm every day.
University Club of Toronto
380 University Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5G IR6
Phone: +1 416 597 1336
We thank the General Manager of The University Club of Toronto for permission to use this image.
Over the years, many members of The Graduate Union have reported staying at the conveniently located University Club of Toronto at 380 University Avenue between Queen Street and Dundas Street.
This well-known association was founded by alumni of the University of Toronto with the aim of establishing a luncheon club for university graduates. The club was formally incorporated in 1909 and was located at 82 King Street West until 1929. After 1929, the Club entered its present home.
The University Club of Toronto has the finest examples of classical architecture in Canada. The club houses an impressive collection of Group of Seven art which has admirers at the National Gallery of Canada and Art Gallery of Ontario and is well worth the visit for the art collection alone.
The Club has affiliations with more than 200 private clubs around the world, as well as special dining reciprocity with the Toronto Hunt. The objects of the University Club remain “… to promote friendship between its members and to provide facilities for their pleasure and congenial association”.
The University Club offers formal and casual dining, excellent meeting space and private dining facilities, as well as overnight accommodation. WiFi is available without charge in the bedroom and meeting rooms. All guest rooms have en-suite bathroom with modern glass-walled walk-in showers in all Queen and Twin rooms, and showers and bathtubs in the two largest King rooms.
In addition to access to fine dining and casual dining rooms, unlimited access to the Fitness and Squash facilities and fitness classes is available without additional charge for accommodation guests. The Club offers an American style squash court, a fitness centre weight room and aerobics studios. Additionally, the Club offers a golf practice facility in the sub-basement!
The Graduate Union holds reciprocal arrangements with this prestigious club. This means that our members are guaranteed a warm welcome when choosing to stay at the University Club of Toronto; and that we, in turn, extend a warm welcome to their members when they choose to reside here in Carlton when visiting Melbourne here in the south-east of Australia.
NTU Alumni Club
11 Slim Barracks Rise
(off North Buona Vista Road)
Phone: +65 6777 1101
Images sourced from the NTU Alumni Club website with the kind permission of the NTU Alumni Club.
Strategically located in a dynamic and growing region of Slim Barracks Rise in Singapore, the NTU (Nanyang Technological University) Alumni Club was founded in 1986 to provide opportunities for members to meet for social, cultural and academic activities.
From humble origins at Bukit Timah, near the centre of the Singapore main island, the Club has grown to occupy a tranquil and scenic site on the hill crest of One-North Park, a 200 hectare and 20 year development in the heart of Singapore to support the growth of Biomedical Sciences, Information and Communication Technology (ICT), Media, Physical Sciences and Engineering.
The work-live-play environment of One-North Park is facilitated by combining educational institutes, residences and recreational amenities with research facilities and business park spaces. It has been designed to be a melting pot for talent, ideas and business opportunities.
The nine-storey clubhouse of the NTU Alumni Club hosts a variety of amenities and services for their members, including a fully equipped gym with personal trainers, swimming pools, restaurants and bars with both Western and local cuisines, TV and reading rooms, boardrooms, ballrooms, a child care centre and (because it houses also The Graduates’ Family Club) even a mini kiddy’s water park.
PYC Hindu Gymkhana
CST No. 766, F.P No. 244,
Bhandarkar Road, Pune 411 004
Phone: +91 20 2566 3006/7
This image has been sourced from the PYC Hindu Gymkhana website with the kind permission of the PYC Hindu Gymkhana.
This prestigious club is located in the heart of downtown Pune, of the Maharashtra region in western India. Just a few years older than The Graduate Union, PYC was founded in 1906 with a mission to promote cricket and other sports.
It is now transformed to be one of the most highly regarded associations in its region.
The club has moved recently into a new six storey building of approximately a hundred thousand square feet. It is now more a lifestyle club with ultra modern sports facilities along with conference rooms, banquet halls, multicuisine restaurants, a cafetaria and a bar. Of its 32 accommodation rooms, all are airconditioned, 28 are executive and four are suites.
Harvard Club of Boston
374 Commonwealth Avenue,
Boston, Massachusetts 02215-2860
United States of America
Phone: +1 617 536 1260
We are grateful for the permission of the Harvard Club of Boston to use this image.
Conveniently located at two sites (374 Commonwealth Avenue and 1 Federal Street), The Harvard Club of Boston is the only Platinum alumni club in Massachusetts. Across the two facilities, it offers both the traditional, elegant ambiance and an academic feel, as well as a modern, and upscale atmosphere with panoramic views of the city.
The Harvard Club was founded in 1908 with a mission to encourage the social, intellectual and athletic interests of its members with emphasis on promoting the welfare of Harvard University students, as well as to assist students with financial aid and to foster the Harvard Spirit in all Harvard men and women.
The Main Clubhouse is in picturesque Back Bay, close to some of the finest shopping and dining in the city. It is home to three restaurants: the Boston Room, offering fine dining, and the Grill Bar and Commonwealth Lounge which provide more casual fare.
The Clubhouse comprises eight squash courts, eleven function halls and forty-two overnight rooms. The Downtown Club is in the heart of the financial district, just steps from historic Faneuil Hall. Offering both fine and casual dining, this site is famous for its panoramic view of Boston. Harvard Club organises social or corporate functions for groups ranging from six people to a maximum of four hundred.
The University Club of St. Paul
420 Summit Avenue
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55102
United States of America
Phone: +1 612 222 1751
This image has been sourced from the University Club of St Paul website with the kind permission of the Reciprocity Director.
Located in the city of Saint Paul, Minnesota, not far from Minneapolis, The University Club of St Paul was founded in 1907 (just four years prior to the establishment of our own Association in 1911). The Graduate Union has reciprocal rights with all three of this Club’s venues. In one you can dine, in another you can exercise and in a third you can rest.
The original clubhouse, Summit Avenue, was completed in 1913. It is open seven days a week for formal dining in the main member dining (Ramsey) room with clear views of the Downtown Saint Paul skyline and winding miles of the Mississippi River Valley. Casual dining is offered in the Members’ Bar and the Varsity Grill, with outdoor dining experiences on the deck available during summer.
Additionally, Summit Avenue provides meeting facilities, free Wi-Fi and a library. They can also arrange for access to a fitness centre, an outdoor swimming pool which opens only in June, July and August, and an outdoor clay tennis court.
The second venue, known as the Saint Paul Athletic Club, is in the central business district of Saint Paul, about one mile from the Summit Avenue clubhouse. This fourteen-storey building was opened in 1918 as the home of the Saint Paul Athletic Club and is near the end of a significant multi-level renovation to open up 65,000 square feet of athletic space with an indoor pool, squash court, racquetball/handball court, fitness centre, pilates, yoga and aerobic studios, running tracks, saunas, whirlpools, and many other features.
The third property is Stout’s Island Lodge located on a private island in the 1,800 acre Red Cedar Lake in north-eastern Barron County in northern Wisconsin. Built in the style of an Adirondack great camp in the early 20th century, this wooded retreat now has 42 guest rooms in the historic Main Lodge, the Shore Lodge and the surrounding cabins. Furnished with an antique atmosphere, each room has a private bath and most have fireplaces and screen porches. In addition to indoor billiards, board games, a piano and a library, the facility offers a host of outdoor options such as bird watching, bocci, walking, evening bonfires and fishing.
6 locations over France
– Lot, Dordogne, Tarn, Gascony, Provence, Haute Provence, Pyrenees
Phone: +61 3 5968 5279
This image has been sourced from the Six Cottages in France website with the kind permission of Geoff and Kathy Richards, who live in Emerald, Victoria.
Located in scenic villages across the South of France, from the Pyrenees to Provence, are six nostalgic French cottages. Members of The Graduate Union may enjoy a discounted trip to stay at one or more of these idyllic residences. Built between 1300AD and 1700AD, each cottage is true to its heritage and representative of a traditional rural French past. All six of the Cottages are in carefully chosen village locations close to excellent restaurants and wineries. From each cottage, you are positioned to travel in any direction for a fine French cuisine, wine and scenic rows of a magnificent country side.
The traditional stone exterior belies the light, sunny interiors of each cottage. All have been fully refurbished with new beds, telephones, TVs, CD and DVD players, books, washing machines and free Wi-Fi.
Oxford and Cambridge Club
71 Pall Mall
London SW1Y 5HD
Phone: +44 20 7930 5151
We are grateful for the permission of the Oxford and Cambridge Club to use this image.
Over the years, many Members of The Graduate Union have reported staying at the conveniently located Oxford and Cambridge Club at 71 Pall Mall in the centre of London, England.
This distinguished association is approaching 200 years of history with origins that can be traced to the 1820’s with the coming together of a number of West End clubs founded by and for members and graduates of the universities after which the club is named.
The building holds a Grade II listing, which means that it is a particularly important building of more than special interest – only 5.5% of buildings on The National Heritage List for England are Grade II – having received a painstaking program of restoration and redecoration in Greek revival architecture. The result has been the return of Grecian interiors which were subject to, but survived, war time bombing, maintaining their former glory and elegance with only discrete modifications to ensure that the club meets the changing demands and expectations of its membership.
The facility is ideal – a terrace with views of the Westminster skyline, a coffee room, elegant morning and smoking rooms, a bar and a library. There are squash courts and a billiard room and the Club has an arrangement with a nearby sports club which has a pool with gym and sauna facilities. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served seven days a week, and catering options are available for light lunches or a quick drink.
There are more than forty comfortable en suite bedrooms (single, twin or double); including a luxurious Chancellor’s suite which can accommodate one to four people and which has views over Marlborough House to Westminster. All rooms have a private bathroom and a flat-screen television. The library, on the second floor, holds more than 25,000 volumes and has a librarian in attendance on week days. Once largely theological, the collection has evolved over the years to now have particular strengths also in history, biography, literature and works dealing with the cities of Oxford, Cambridge and London.
Members may be displeased to learn that the club no longer provides free barley water for their horses but the Club has informed us that they hope to compensate for the loss of this invaluable service with the 44,000 bottles of selected wines in their celebrated cellar.
The Oxford and Cambridge Club celebrated the 175th Anniversary of their club in 2013.