- This event has passed.
Sustainable Gastronomy Day
18 June, 2021
Gastronomy — the art of food — refers to local food and cuisine. Sustainability means not being wasteful of natural resources (with agriculture, fishing and food preparation) and continuing into the future without being detrimental to our environment or health. According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), sustainable gastronomy is thus cuisine that takes into account where ingredients are from, how food is grown/sourced and how food gets to our markets and our plates. Sustainable Gastronomy Day is to celebrate seasonal ingredients and producers, preserve wildlife as well as our culinary traditions, and raise awareness of such global sustainable development measures as:
- designating Creative Cities of Gastronomy (now 36 cities) within the UNESCO Creative Cities Network;
- promoting clean energy for local restaurants (use gas and electricity instead of coal, use natural gas rather than carbon);
- showing sustainable gastronomy through TV and food cultural exhibitions for the food industry and farmers;
- promoting green culture diets, and including sustainability in dietary guidelines; and
- Crop of the Month to promote the diversification of crops in favour of underutilised traditional crops, applying sustainable food production and natural resource management practices.