- This event has passed.
International Day of Friendship
30 July, 2021
International Day of Friendship is to inspire peace efforts and to build bridges between communities using friendship between peoples, countries, cultures and individuals. Governments, international organisations and civil society groups are encouraged to hold events, activities and initiatives that promote dialogue among civilisations, solidarity, mutual understanding and reconciliation. A culture of peace is defined as a set of values, attitudes and behaviours that reject violence and endeavour to prevent conflicts by addressing their root causes with a view to solving problems. Suggested activities for this Day of Friendship include:
- preparing and giving small presents, like biscuits or chocolate, tied in bundles of cellophane with bright ribbon;
- making a friendship band;
- making a special ‘friendship book’ for a good friend, with photos, a drawing, poems or a story about your friendship;
- reading and sharing stories about friends, discussing things you may do or feel that are similar;
- discussing how we can best be a good friend by making university, work, home and our communities a happier, friendlier place;
- identifying how it feels when someone is kind to you and how it feels when you are kind to someone;
- creating a poem entitled ‘A friend like you’, or writing an acrostic poem using the word ‘FRIENDS’;
- writing about what a friend means to you, how you help each other, what you do and what makes a friendship special; and
- brainstorming with others to make a list of what friends do together and sharing these lists.